Saturday, May 25, 2013

Super Full Moon

Tonight, there was a "Super Full Moon", but I didn't find out about it until the very last minute. I read that the moon would reach 100% illumination at 12:25am, so I packed up my gear and drove over to Acworth Beach by midnight.

I kept messing up. First, I left my tripod next to my car, so I had to drive back to get it. Then when I get there, I realized I forgot my remote shutter release. I also realized it was so dark but I forgot my flashlight. Then in the end, I forgot to shoot RAW, and was shooting just JPEG the whole time without even knowing it. I guess that goes to show that no matter how fast you're trying to work, make sure you're not forgetting anything! Double-check settings, and double-check your gear. 

I didn't stay for too long, but this is what I came up with in the end. I played around with my 24-70 at first but wanted a wider angle, so I switched to a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens. It's a really cool lens, and it's known to be sharper than its competitor, the Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 (which is $200 more too). Sigma has been designing a lot of really good lenses the past few years that are finally starting to compete with Nikon. This is one of those lenses that just really blows me away with the quality. 


2 second exposure, f/3.2 ISO 400
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Nikon D3s


See the light coming from behind the trees? That's actually light pollution coming from Atlanta. It's very hard to get dark skies when you're close to a city. Atlanta is 30 miles from this location, but it'll still show. Rural locations are always the best to get a good night shot. You'll be able to use just the moon for lighting and more stars will appear in the sky.









No comments:

Post a Comment